Thursday, August 15, 2013

Darren Young: Gay And Very Happy

(Credit WWE Memes on Facebook. You should give them a like. For real though.)

By now, you've heard the news: Darren Young, one-half of the Primetime Players, said in a TMZ interview yesterday (released this morning) that he's gay and he's very happy. He's the first openly gay wrestler on the active WWE roster. From the interview:

"Absolutely (I think a gay wrestler could be successful), look at me. I'm a WWE superstar and to be honest with you, I'll tell you right now, I'm gay. And I'm happy, very happy. To be honest, I don't think it matters. Does it matter? Does it matter to you? Does it change what you think about me? I guess if you want to call it coming out; I really don't know what to say it is but I'm just letting you know. I'm happy with who I am, I'm comfortable with myself, and I'm happy to be living the dream. I'm in L.A. for 'SummerSlam' with WWE. You know, to be honest with you, I'm happy with myself. Some people might not like it, some people will like it but I'm here to please myself. I'm here to be happy and it's very important that I'm happy with myself. I'm hoping to be able to make a difference, you know? It's very important to me that people understand that someone's sexual preference shouldn't really matter. It should be about the person."
Some of WWE's biggest names have come out in support of Young, including WWE Champion John Cena, and WWE brass including Vince McMahon, Stephanie McMahon, and Triple H. Even his tag team partner, Titus O'Neil, has his back. WWE announced via a press statement that Young will be a part of the B.A.Star anti-bullying campaign events in Los Angeles today where this bombshell I'm sure will be a big topic of conversation.

Bueno. Muy bueno. I know we're a long ways away from this being, you know, not news, but we are also a long ways from where we were. Orlando Jordan and the late Chris Kanyon both came out, but long after they were away from the spotlight. The reaction when they revealed themselves as gay (or in Orlando's case, bisexual) wasn't nearly as positive as it is now. The fact that Darren is getting such a reaction says a lot of good things about us as a society. The fact is it's a big deal, but it's not. Instead of being all "Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?", we're like "It's cool." And that's a good thing.

But then again, when you have a first and middle name of Frederick Douglass, you're probably were born to make a little history anyways.

And if you have a problem with that, then you have a problem with yourself.

Though I do kinda have a problem with TMZ calling Darren Young a "headlining wrestler". Clearly they don't watch enough Monday Night RAW.

Good on you Darren.

No comments:

Post a Comment